Can I use Simol on Mono or Silverlight?

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I have an linux computer which runs Debian and Mono and I am wondering if I can compile and run Simol on mono.

As a backup I could use Silverlight. Would that work?

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2011 at 1:50 AM

All I can tell you is that it should work based on the Mono project compatibility guidelines. Simol depends mainly on a few core .NET assemblies, but also uses some third party libraries that may not be fully compatible with Mono.

You can run MoMA (compatibility checker) against the Simol assemblies first to see what it says. I'd love to hear about your results.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I did run Moma and get following error for Lucene.net :

void Main (String[]) void RemotingConfiguration.Configure (string, bool) ensureSecurity support has not been implemented

I am also missing the code for the two assemblies you are referenceing
1. Coditate.Savant.dll
2. Coditate.Common.dll
Could you include the code not into your project? 

I created a mono ASP.net webservice which reads data with Simol. When I call the 
the webservice with Silverlight I am getting an exception which I can not debug into in mono.
I can debug to  #93 SimolClient.cs than my Exception handler gets called: Here is the error message.
e.exceptionMessage "Message:Could not load type 'Simol.Core.ConsistentSimpleDB' from assembly 'Simol, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.\nInner Exception:\nStack: at Simol.SimolClient..ctor (System.String awsAccessKeyId, System.String awsSecretAccessKey, Simol.SimolConfig config) [0x0002f] in D:\\Prototype\\MVC Test\\Simol\\Simol\\SimolClient.cs:93 \n at Simol.SimolClient..ctor (System.String awsAccessKeyId, System.String awsSecretAccessKey) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 \n at HomeDataService.HomeData.GetProductionDataFromDB (System.String[]& GUID, System.Int32[]& productionInWatt, System.DateTime[]& recordTime, System.String& exception, System.Boolean& successfull, DateTime start, DateTime end) [0x0000a] in D:\\Prototype\\MVC Test\\HomeDataService\\HomeData.asmx.cs:196 \n" string

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I'm not sure where you are seeing a reference to Coditate.Savant.dll. That's the old version of the library and shouldn't be referenced from the current code.

The Coditate.Common.dll source won't be available in the short term. Eventually I will publish it as a separate project or roll it into Simol.

Other than that I can't offer you much help as I'm not set up to run Mono.NET and won't have time to do so in the near future.

- Ashley

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I think I understand what the problem is:

When I try to load Simol I get an TypeLoadException (above) because of the inconsistent assemblies.

I can take care of the Lucene.net.dll and include the source but it would be nice if you could add the three other assemblies as source into Simol
that I can compile it under mono.

1. Coditate.Common.dll
2. Common.Logging,dll

see here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5691100/how-to-debug-system-typeloadexception-errors-in-net

~Joe

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM

You can get the Common.Logging.dll source here. Send me a private message with your email and I'll try to get the other code to you when I can.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I got Simol to run under Mono. To work around the type load problems (see my previous posts)

all used/linked dlls  have to be compiled as source. The only problem was to get the right versions of the linked dlls simol is using.

Expecially Lucene.Net 2.4.0 has to be used otherwise simol does not compile. I got the sources for Coditate.Common.dll

from Ashley (he probably integrates later). All other sources are available from Amazon (search for AWSSDK) and from other open source projects.

~Joe