Progress during Async Select

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:20 AM
Is there a way to detect the progress of an asynchronous put (or get, for that matter), prior to calling savant.EndPut?  
If I know (or retrieve) the total count I'm expecting on a large transfer, it would be handy to display a progress bar
to the user for entertainment.  A method to get the intermediate count in a Thread.Sleep(x) loop would do the trick.  Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

There's no way to get progress from SimpleDB. Aside from complex select queries against large domains, most operations are going to finish in well under a second anyway.

For select queries that involve multiple requests to SimpleDB you can cancel the request using SelectCommand.Cancel(), but again there's no progress reporting.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM

OK, I just realized you might be talking about large Put operations that Savant breaks into multiple BatchPut operations when calling SimpleDB. Again Savant exposes no progress information. If you need to report progress you should split your items into batches of 25 (the batchput limit) and call SimpleSavant.Put() multiple times, tracking progress as you go.